Ketchup: It is seasoning or one of the sauces, which are added to several types of foods to give them a different flavor and taste. Ketchup consists mainly of tomatoes, sugar, and some vinegar in addition to some spices.
Ketchup Nutritional facts
100 grams of ketchup contains approximately:
- 111 calories
- Lipid 0.2 g
- Saturated fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 907 mg
- Potassium 315 mg
- Sugars 26 g
- Dietary fiber 0.3 g
- Sugar 22 g
- 1.3 g. protein
- Vitamin C 4.1 mg Calcium 16 mg
- Iron 0.4 mg Vitamin D 0 IU
- Vitamin B6 0.2 mg
- Cobalamin 0 g
- Magnesium 15 mg
ketchup nutritional benefits
- Low-calorie consumption
Because it is low in fat, it should not be used as part of a daily diet program, as it could be used as part of a weight reduction therapy. In comparison to other food dressings such as mayo, tomato ketchup is a healthier option.
Everyone enjoys pasta. When it comes to carbs, if you are attempting to lose weight, adding pasta will not help, rather than using butter or cheese, one can also reduce carbohydrate consumption by using tomato ketchup.
- Contain low level of fats
Foods that contain low levels of fats should be taken daily during a healthy program, tomato ketchup is rich in nutrients and its good taste, make it a great dietary option to stimulate hunger, apply tomato sauce to low salt fried fish and enjoy the delicious taste.
- Lycopene concentration is high.
Lycopene is known as an enzyme that plays an important function in cell protection, this can inhibit the growth of malignant cells and also prevent the incidence of cells damage, Furthermore, lycopene plays an important role in decreasing cholesterol levels.
- Reduces the risk of prostate cancer
ketchup can indeed significantly decrease the risk of prostate cancer, taking tomato ketchup on a daily basis helps in the reduction of prostate cancer owing to its large lycopene concentration.
- Help to strengthen the vision
Tomatoes are the greatest source of Vitamin A, which promotes visual health and functions as a potent behavior against diabetic retinopathy, which can cause blindness.
- Male infertility
Tomato ketchup consumption increases male fertility, this assertion is based on extensive research undertaken by specialists, it contains a lot of lycopene, which boosts the number of sperm.
- Reduce risk for breast cancer.
Lycopene is indeed an antioxidant that increases fertility and protects men from prostate cancer, Lycopene aids in the prevention and treatment of breast cancer in females.
Why to substitute Ketchup?
Here are some reasons why ketchup should be replaced with some other substitutes:
1- Despite the belief of some, ketchup cannot have any nutritional benefits despite being made from tomatoes, which is false.
2- A Study finds “tomato ketchup contains more sugar than tomato“. This higher amount of sugar in ketchup contributes to heart disease, high cholesterol, and weight gain.
3- In addition to being high in fructose syrup, ketchup also contains corn, which can increase diabetes risks.
4- It contains a large amount of sodium, which increases the possibility of raising blood pressure in addition to heart and digestive diseases.
5- Ketchup contains a substance made from genetically modified corn called distilled vinegar, which causes severe damage to the liver and spleen.
6- Ketchup contains some types of acids, and if eaten in abundance, it may cause some digestive problems such as stomach irritation.
Best ketchup substitutes
Some ketchup substitutes can be prepared. If we are looking for alternatives that give the closest result to the taste of ketchup and are healthier at the same time, here are some of them:
If you are looking for a way to substitute for ketchup and add some excellent flavor to your food, then use tomato paste.
It does not only taste great but is also healthy:
– Rich in Vitamin C and anti-aging antioxidants
– It stabilizes the blood sugar level because of the fiber it contains
– It is a good moisturizer because tomatoes are 95 percent water
– It protects against cancer because it contains lycopene
– Good source of citric acid
It is one of the best alternatives to ketchup.
It contains many high nutritional values, such as:
- Each one cup of tomato sauce 244 grams:
- 84% protein, 12% carbohydrates, 4% fat.
- Nutritional value for half a cup: 90 calories, 2.5 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium.
- In order to lose weight, it is considered a good substitute for ketchup.
It can be used as a healthy and beneficial alternative to ketchup.
Nutritional benefits of dried tomatoes:
- Half a cup of dried tomatoes contains about 925 grams of potassium, so it is used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
- Each half cup of it contains about 2.5 iron, so it helps in raising the level of hemoglobin in the blood.
- It reduces cholesterol and protects against kidney and heart diseases
- Weight loss is possible with it.
It is one of the alternatives to ketchup that you can prepare at home to add a wonderful flavor to your meal.
They are a bit sharp, which makes them one of the favorite options for spicy food lovers, and they are very healthy.
Mexican sauce nutritional benefits:
- Peppers that are hot, such as jalapenos, are also used in the salsa, chili, and sauces of Mexican dishes.
- Blood cholesterol and blood pressure may be lowered by capsaicin
- In addition to improving circulation, this compound can relieve congestion associated with allergies and the common cold
You can prepare it at home as a healthy alternative to ketchup.
All you need is some tomatoes, spices, lemon, and black pepper.
Then you can enjoy the wonderful and healthy taste of tomato jam.
And here you are some of the tomato jam nutritional benefits:
- Protects the heart
- Regulates blood pressure
- It is beneficial to eat tomatoes frequently in order to maintain healthy skin, minimize enlarged pores, treat acne and rashes, and treat minor burns.
- Helps prevent some types of cancer
- Anti–inflammatory action
- Prevent the development of cataracts and maintain eye health.