Water is the source of life. So, It’s essential for body health. What about adding nutritious ingredients to it! Lemon is a super healthy fruit, and by adding its juice to water, it makes it full of health benefits.
When you hear lemon water many questions may come to your mind. What are the health benefits of drinking lemon water? Is it healthy to drink lemon water in the morning? Is it effective for weight loss to drink lemon water before bedtime? Are there side effects for drinking lemon water? And more questions that we are going to answer all of them in the article.
What is lemon water?
Lemon water is simply a detox drink that contains lemon juice and water. Cold or hot water can be used. Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water, and it will be done. It’s preferable to use filtered water and organic lemons. Many ingredients can be added to flavor it such as honey, mint leaf, cucumber, and others.
What are the health benefits of drinking lemon water?
Lemon water is a healthy detox drink that is loaded with a wide variety of health benefits that mainly come from the super nutritious ingredient which is lemon and water which is essential for health. Here are the health benefits of lemon water including:
- It supports healthy digestionFiber and Prebiotics: Mechanisms and Health Benefits – PMC (nih.gov)
Lemons contain soluble fiber that stimulates digestion, supports gut health and helps the body to get rid of toxins. Drinking water also is essential for stimulating digestion.
- Lowering the risk of cancerCitrus Peel Flavonoids as Potential Cancer Prevention Agents – PMC (nih.gov)
Some animal studies have shown that some compounds in lemons such as limonene and naringenin may protect against cancer. Furthermore, vitamin C helps fight free radicals that may cause certain types of cancer.
- Supporting liver healthCitric Acid Effects on Brain and Liver Oxidative Stress in Lipopolysaccharide-Treated Mice – PMC (nih.gov)
Citrus flavonoids in lemons help the liver to get rid of toxins, water also supports the bile production in the liver, which supports liver health.
- Reducing inflammationVitamin C and Immune Function – PMC (nih.gov)
The anti-inflammatory properties in lemon reduce inflammation. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps decrease inflammation and prevent oxidative damage to body cells.
- Preventing oxidation
The powerful antioxidant properties that are in lemons help prevent the damage of cells from oxidation7 Reasons to Start Your Day with Lemon Water – Cleveland Clinic
- Boosting the immune systemAscorbic acid is a potent inhibitor of various forms of T cell apoptosis – PubMed (nih.gov)
Vitamin C in lemons is important to repair tissues in the body. It helps fight free radicals which cause illness. The body can not make or store it, so the daily intake of it helps boost immunity.
- Decreasing depression and anxietyCitrus fruits as a treasure trove of active natural metabolites that potentially provide benefits for human health – PMC (nih.gov) The role of vitamin C in stress-related disorders – ScienceDirect
Potassium and vitamin C in lemon help reduce stress levels and anxiety
- Protecting against cold and fluEnhancing immunity in viral infections, with special emphasis on COVID-19: A review – PMC (nih.gov)
Vitamin C in lemons plays an important role in boosting immunity and fighting viruses that cause cold and flu. High levels of vitamin C help reduce the symptoms of flu.
- Fighting bad breathEffect of yogurt and pH equivalent lemon juice on salivary flow rate in healthy volunteers – An experimental crossover study – PMC (nih.gov)
Lemons help stimulate saliva. Additionally, water prevents the dryness of the mouth, which helps to protect against bad breath, especially after eating foods that have a strong smell like garlic, onions, and others. So, if you want to get rid of bad breath, drink a glass of lemon juice after meals.
- Supporting kidney health5 things that can help you take a pass on kidney stones – Harvard Health
Lemons contain citric acid, which can contribute to preventing kidney stones. Citrate in lemons helps break up small stones in the kidney. In addition, drinking water helps flush out stones, which supports kidney health.
- Weight loss
The presence of polyphenols in lemons helps improve insulin resistance by controlling blood sugar levelsPolyphenols and their effects on diabetes management: A review – PMC (nih.gov). Drinking water helps feeling full, which leads to eating less, which means weight loss.
- It may support heart healthVitamin C and Heart Health: A Review Based on Findings from Epidemiologic Studies – PMC (nih.gov)
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps protect against heart disease and strokes. In addition, some components in lemon playa role in reducing cholesterol levels, which supports heart health.
- Improving skin healthThe Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health – PMC (nih.gov)
Lemons are a good source of vitamin C, which is known for its positive impact on the skin. It helps moisturize skin, reduce wrinkles, and reduce aging signs. In addition, water helps to keep hydrated, which leads to improving the elasticity of the skin.
- Lemons help improve brain functionHow does the nervous system work? – InformedHealth.org – NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov)
Lemons contain potassium, which helps stimulate brain and nerve function
Side effects of drinking lemon water
- The regular drinking of citrus fruit juices and acidic liquids may cause the enamel of teeth and tooth decay due to the acid
- Drinking too much lemon water can upset your stomach that’s because the lemon juice is highly acidic, which may cause nausea, vomiting, and heartburn
- Drinking too much water lemon may cause canker sores due to the lemon acid
- Some studies have linked consuming citrus fruits with migraines and headaches. The high levels of tyramine in lemons cause headaches
- Drinking too much lemon water in the morning may cause absorbing the oil in joints, which can lead to bone issues
- If you have a hemochromatosis condition, consuming too much lemon water, which is high in vitamin C can cause increasing iron content in the body. The excess iron can cause damage to body organs
- Drinking too much lemon water may cause diarrhea
Drinking lemon water in the morning
Drinking lemon water in the morning is considered a detox drink that has health benefits. It’s better to use warm water, which is easier to be absorbed into the digestive system. Here are the health benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning:
- Lemon juice helps balance the PH levels in the body
When you drink lemon water in the morning, it helps raise the body’s PH, which fights against bacteria and viruses.
- Promoting weight lossLemon Polyphenols Suppress Diet-induced Obesity by Up-Regulation of mRNA Levels of the Enzymes Involved in β-Oxidation in Mouse White Adipose Tissue – PMC (nih.gov)
One of the studies has shown that lemon juice contains polyphenols that help suppress body fat accumulation and reduce weight gain, especially if you drink it in the morning
- Supporting healthy digestion
Drinking warm lemon water in the morning helps the digestive system work properly and stimulate the liver to produce bile that is essential for healthy digestion
- Clearing skin
When you drink warm water lemon in the morning, vitamin C in it helps clear the skin by flushing out toxins from the blood and cleaning the body, which leads to enjoying healthy skin
- It may be a good remedy for respiratory problems
As we mentioned before, lemon water boosts the immune system, which increases the body’s ability to fight infections including chest infections. So, vitamin C in the lemon juice may have a positive impact on asthma and allergies
- Energizing the body
Drinking warm lemon water in the morning boosts energy. It’s a good replacement to start the day instead of coffee
Drinking warm lemon water in the morning for weight loss
Lemon is the star of this drink, so what are the reasons that make this drink helps in weight loss?
- It’s a very low-calorie drinkLemon juice, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories (self.com)
Being very low in calories makes it a good option for cutting calories and weight loss
- Boosting metabolismIncreased Hydration Can Be Associated with Weight Loss – PMC (nih.gov)
Drinking warm lemon water in the morning is a good way to boost metabolism, which leads to burning fats
- Suppressing appetiteWater Consumption Reduces Energy Intake at a Breakfast Meal in Obese Older Adults – PMC (nih.gov)
Warm lemon water helps you feel full and curbs hunger, which reduce your calories intake and leads to weight loss
- Keeping hydratedWater, Hydration and Health – PMC (nih.gov)
Drinking water helps you to keep hydrated, which is essential for boosting metabolism and reduce water retention in the body, which leads to weight loss
Let’s say that drinking lemon water in the morning helps weight loss, but it should be combined with a healthy diet to see good results. You can add many healthy ingredients, which flavor your drink and even increase its health benefits such as turmeric, mint, honey, and others, or even coffee!.
Read Also: The Coffee and lemon Juice Diet | Is It Effective?
Is consuming lemon water on an empty stomach cause acidity problems?
Lemon is alkaline when it is in the body. So, it does not cause acidity problems. It’s considered a good alternative to coffee in the morning.Vitamin C, Gastritis, and Gastric Disease: a historical review and update – PMC (nih.gov)
Drinking lemon water before bed
Many people wonder if drinking water before sleeping is healthy or not. So, let’s talk about the health benefits of drinking water at night.
- Increasing sweating during the night
Drinking warm lemon water before bedtime helps the body sweat more, which means helping the body get rid of toxins and cleanse it from wastes.
- Improving mood
Drinking warm lemon water before sleeping reduce stress and improve sleep quality, which leads to improve mood and boost energy in the morning
- Maintaining hydration during the night
During the night the body loses water through sweating. So, drinking water keeps it hydrated
- Reduce heartburn and reflux
Although lemon is acidic, it’s alkaline in the body. So, it helps reduce acidity in the stomach.
- Reducing the symptoms of cold and flu
Vitamin C in the lemon helps boost immunity and fight against viruses and bacteria. So, drinking it reduces cough and the noisy symptoms of cold
- Promoting weight loss
Drinking hot lemon water at night helps feeling full during the night and curbs hunger. Also, hot water stimulates the breaking down of fats, which results in weight loss
What is the best time for drinking lemon water?
Drinking water, in general, is necessary all the time to keep your body hydrated. But, there are good times for drinking lemon water to get the best health benefits.
- In the morning, when you wake up
- Before or after meals with thirty minutes
- Before sleeping at night
- Before or after exercising
How to avoid the side effects of lemon water on teeth?
The acid in the lemon water can damage enamel teeth. So, here are some tips to avoid it:
- Use a straw when you drink it to reduce contact with teeth
- Rinse your mouth direct after drinking
- Don’t brush your teeth direct after drinking it, just wait about 60 minutes, and then you can brush them
- Use a soft toothbrush when you brush your teeth
- Do not use an aggressive brushing
After reading the article, it’s clear that lemon water is a healthful and refreshing drink that supports your overall health and it’s a good alternative to drinks that include empty calories. Finally, my advice to you is always kept hydrated.