At the present time, there are plenty of diets to choose from. In our article, we will help you to know more about the Pescatarian Diet and the Pesco-Mediterranean Diet, which is a popular diet that is known for its health benefits. Let’s dive together into it.
What is the Pescatarian Diet?
The pescatarian diet is considered a vegetarian diet but allows fish and seafood. So, if you follow this diet, you can eat only fish and seafood while avoiding meat and poultry. It’s a balanced diet that contains healthy food groups, which provide the body with the needed nutrients.
If you follow the pescatarian diet, you can eat:
- Fish and seafood, which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, zinc, phosphorus, vitamin 6, and selenium
- Seasonal fruits (dried or fresh)
- Vegetables( frozen or fresh)
- Whole grains
- Eggs and dairy products
In the pescatarian diet, meats that are not allowed include poultry, beef, lamb, pork, wild game, and others.
Health Benefits Of The Pescatarian Diet
Researches suggest that eating plenty of red meats is related to many health problems including increasing cholesterol level, heart disease, and certain types of cancer. So, following the Pascatrian diet helps lower the risk of these health issues due to eliminating red meats and replacing them with fish and seafood.
In addition, animals feed on industrial plants full of chemicals, which will be concentrated in the meat which we eat. Moreover, fish and seafood are rich in many essential vitamins and minerals, which are beneficial for body health. Fiber that comes from fruits, vegetables, and carbs is important for weight loss and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
The Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet is based on eating healthy whole foods and avoiding processed foods that are loaded with sugar, unhealthy fats, and salt. Olive oil, fish, legumes, whole grains, vegetables, and fruits are all staples in the Med diet. This diet promotes heart and brain health and offers a wide range of health benefits.
The Pesco-Mediterranean Diet
The Pesco Mediterranean diet combines the basic principles of both the pesco and the Med diets. Fish and seafood are the main sources of protein, olive oil for healthy fats, legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are all included.
What are foods allowed in the Pasco-Mediterranean Diet?
- Fish and shellfish
They are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals such as zinc, vitamin B12, phosphorus, vitamin 6, and selenium. There are many kinds of fish that you can choose from such as sardines, salmon, anchovies, trout, lobster, crab oyster, tuna, and others
- Whole grains
Oats, rye, brown rice, quinoa, barley, and others are all contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- Healthy fats
Extra-virgin olive oil can be used instead of butter or to be added in salad dressings and vegetable dishes
- Tree nuts
Like walnuts, almonds, and others are all full of antioxidants, healthy fats, and fiber
- Vegetables can be eaten frozen or fresh ( no limit)
Like spinach, broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower, sprouts, and others
- Fruits can be eaten fresh or dried
They are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You can enjoy a wide variety of fruits such as
Bananas, apples, berries, dates, figs, melons, and others
They are good sources of protein, so they can be used to substitute red meats such as lentils and beans
- Eggs and dairy in moderation
Low-fat yogurt and soft cheese are recommended
Not more than 5 yolks are recommended to be consumed per week
- Red wine in moderation
- Coffee and tea ( unsweetened)
Avoid eating red meats, poultry, and game
Avoid sugar and processed foods
The main difference between the classic Mediterranean diet and the Pecos-Mediterranean diet is intermittent fasting, which is done for about 8 to 12 hours each day, which leads to reducing the calorie intake per day.
What is intermittent fasting?
It’s a kind of time restricting eating, which means stop eating for a specific time between 6 to 18 hours per day. The real key to the health benefits of intermittent fasting is what you eat during your eating period. Obviously, you won’t reap the benefits if you eat too many calories or unhealthy food.
It has become the most popular with the 16/8 method, this can be achieved by skipping breakfast, eating your first meal at noon, and not eating anything after an early dinner.
What are the health benefits of combining the Pesco-Mediterranean diet with intermittent fasting?
- The healthy components in the included foods in addition to the intermittent fasting contribute to reducing inflammation, which is linked to many diseases like diabetes and multiple sclerosis
- This approach is based on the idea of eating whole foods, which do not contain much sugar and salts like the processed foods, which are recommended to be avoided, which leads to reducing the risk of some health problems that are related to the consumption of salt, sugar, and saturated fats
- Intermittent fasting leads to limiting the number of calories that are consumed, which leads to weight loss, lowering blood pressure, and improve glucose metabolism
- According to a study, intermittent fasting may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease
- The healthy fats that come from olive oil, fish, and nuts support heart health
- Intermittent fasting between 8 to 12 hours daily helps reduce inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity
- Increasing longevity and protecting against cognitive decline
- Some foods which are included in the diet are a bit expensive such as fish and nuts
- Some fish contain high levels of mercury, which should be avoided by pregnant women and young children
- Avoiding eating red meats may cause a deficiency in vitamin B12
Here is a sample of what you can eat
- For breakfast,
You can eat plain yogurt with strawberries or berries
- For after breakfast snack
You can eat 2 servings of your favorite fruit
- For lunch
You can eat Tuna-salad with lettuce and corn
- The second snack
You can eat 1 cup sliced carrots and cucumbers with hummus
- For dinner
You can eat stuffed sweet potato with a cup of lentil soup
Is the Pesco-Mediterranean diet beneficial for weight loss?
The Pesco-Mediterranean diet is basically a lifestyle but if you want to use it as a weight-loss diet, you should pay attention to the portion size and the number of calories that you consume daily. Additionally, you should keep regular exercise.
Following a diet that contains healthy whole foods provides a range of health benefits. So, the Pesco-Mediterranean diet with intermittent fasting has been approved to be one of the best diets for health.